H4 EAD Rule Latest News [ H4 Ead Rule 2019 USCIS Details ]

H4 EAD to have got rules which must keenly be followed by any individual who is interested in acquiring EAD.


Some of the rules are

Who is Responsible?

H4 EAD must only be issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)

Employee MUST have EAD in hand before Employment Begins

Any employee ready to work in United States should not be at the place of employment or work place or commence working before the approved EAD commencement date. The actual plastic EAD must be in the possession of the employee before employment begins. For it is not enough to have EAD approval either from the USCIS website or in paper form.

The one in possession of a valid and unexpired EAD may work in the USA only during the validity dates written on the EAD itself. Again, note that the international employee cannot begin working until the EAD start dates and must stop working at the stop date, which is written on your card.

EAD Renewal

EAD can be renewed or not, however an employee will know whether his or her EAD is renewable or not. If it is renewable then the International Employee must ensure that renewal application is filled with USCIS at least 100 days before the current date expires. This means pending EAD application does not provide permission to work, this means that you cannot work with a pending EAD and so you must commence the renewal process a bit earlier to avoid any time of conflict. The only exceptional rule is for F-1 Student who is STEM-OPT eligible.

In case an employee will not have a new EAD by the time the other one expires, then he or she will not be eligible for any payment, he or she will definitely go for a forced or mandatory leave until he/she get’s the new EAD with new dates.

Unlawful Employment

An International Employee who engages in any type of work activity or employment before EAD commences is definitely in violation of Immigration rules and regulations. No individual is allowed to engage in unlawful employment.

Departments and employees should contact the GSS office to discuss employment issues if there is a concern as to when an international employee with EAD can begin working.

F-1 Students

F-1 Student with EAD based on Optional Practical Training or STEM-OPT must work within the area of their academic degree.  The students can work for any number of US employers as long as all jobs are within the area of their academic degree for which OPT was granted

F-1 students working under the STEM-OPT extension, have the additional restriction of only being able to work for US employers who are enrolled in the E-Verify program.  F-1 students with STEM-OPT can work for multiple employers but all employers must be enrolled in E-Verify.

Generally, a person with EAD can work for a multiple of US employers. However, F-1 students with EAD solely due to a STEM-OPT extension can only work for an employer who has enrolled in E-Verify.

Read More: H4 EAD Premium Processing


Ensure that you have all the required documents.

Leave a Comment